Monday, August 25, 2008

Shoulder Surgery

Update: Sorry I wasn't able to update the blog in the hospital. I was too busy feeling pain. This is me on Friday morning. I was released shortly after. I was in much better spirits that day. I'll post more pics further down this entry. The surgery went well, but there were some complications. Seems I did a lot more damage to my shoulder than they were expecting to find. I had torn a ligament and parts of my rotator cuff. After the surgery, I got sick from the anastesia and was generally loopy for the rest of Wednesday. Thursday I felt better and was able to keep food down but had a hard time sleeping because of the pain. Friday I was doing worlds better, but the ride home in the car was bumpier than I ever remember it being. Poor Sandee hates driving and has a terrible backseat driver for a husband. She's been so flexible and patient with me. Thank you all for praying for me. Please pray that Physical Therapy goes well these next few weeks and that I deal well with the pain. I didn't sleep very well last night because my shoulder hurt so much.
Pictures: (left) only three little incisions for all that pain; (right) they told me I was getting a pillow to hold my arm out... well it's more like a couch.











Please keep me in your prayers this week. I am having surgery on my right shoulder on Wednesday the 27th to tighten up the ligament. I will have to recover for the next few months with physical therapy and rest. The injury is the result of my pride. I got angry at my younger brother one day and tried to tackle him. As I did so, he braced himself on my shoulder, popping it out of place. Now, eight years later, it has come out countless times again and this most recent time at a water park with our students in Italy. One of the great things about doing the surgery over here is that it costs less and I am having it done by the best surgeon in Europe. This guy works on professional athletes. I'll keep you guys up to speed on how my recovery is going. It sounds like the hospital will have Internet.






1 comment:

Kevin said...

Hey Shea,

Glad you are doing well. Remember, my heart is fine!!!!!

Dad